Monday, April 14, 2008

{ My Father, the Hero }

Late last night my grandpa past away. Losing him has been so much harder than I ever planned but knowing he is no longer in pain is comforting. He waited for all the grandchilren to come yesterday so say their goodbyes and let him know what he meant to us. He was surrounded by "his girls" as he peacefully slipped from this life to the next. He is the only father I've ever known and a Hero to all who were close to him. I know some of you knew him through me and my sisters and you are more than welcome to attend the services, if you would like. Thanks for all the support, thoughts and prayers.

Arthur LaMar Hemsley “Bompa” Hurricane, Utah - Arthur LaMar Hemsley, after a courageous battle with cancer, returned home to his Father in Heaven April 13, 2008 in Hurricane, Utah. The family would like to express gratitude to the Doctors and medical staff at the Dixie Regional Medical Center.

Art was born on September 20, 1926, in Salt Lake City, Utah to Joseph Hemsley and Nettie Holder. On July 16, 1956, he married his sweetheart, Norma Rae Young, for Time and all Eternity, in the Logan Utah Temple.

Arthur is survived by his wife, Norma Rae; children, Shawna Rae Hemsley, Mitchel Arthur Hemsley, Alexis (Shay) Blackner, Jennifer (Nick) Herem, Shawntae Hemsley, Kelly (Rosalie) Keddington; grandchildren, Landon Hemsley, Aubrey (Erik) Jenson, Drew, Trevor and Samantha Hemsley, Sydnie, Aubrie, Ellie and Parker Keddington; great grandchildren, Nixen Herem, Ambri Jenson and baby Blackner on the way. Arthur was preceded in death by his parents, brothers and sister.

Arthur graduated from the University of Utah, before pursuing a career as an electrical engineer at Unisys and for the U.S. Government. He proudly served his country in the United States Air Force.

Arthur was an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, he served in the High Priest Quorum.

Arthur was a master craftsman and delighted in making furniture, cabinets and keepsakes. His treasured woodwork is in family homes all over the country.

Arthur set a standard for excellence in his own life and quietly inspired his family and friends to “keep the bar high.” His love and care for his family was matched only by his humility. We felt safe and cared for in his arms and now, it’s his turn. Thank you Bompa.

A viewing will be held on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 from 6-8 p.m. at Metcalf Mortuary, 288 West St. George Blvd, St. George, Utah. Another viewing will be held on Thursday, April 17, 2008 from 6-8 p.m. at the Briarwood Ward, 950 North Main Street, Centerville, Utah. Friends and Family may also call on Friday, April 18, 2008 between 9:00-10:30 a.m. at the Briarwood Ward, prior to the funeral services at 11:00 a.m.. Please view the Metcalf website at www.metcalfmortuary.com for condolences, obituary and full funeral listings.

16 comments:

Tracy April 14, 2008 at 7:33 PM  

I am sorry about your Grandpa Jen! I will keep you and your family in my prayers. (((hugs)))

Mandy April 14, 2008 at 8:14 PM  

Like I have told both Lex and you, I have been praying for your strength and comfort during this hard time. I know what a great man he was.. Tell Marnie she is in my thoughts. I love you guys...

Alexis Blackner April 15, 2008 at 9:17 AM  

I am so glad we could be here together to go through this. I do believe this has made us grow closer. LUV U and Bomps I miss u!

Cheerfully Charmed April 15, 2008 at 11:18 AM  

Girl...........................I really don't know what to say! I almost cried reading this post! Bompa was such a good father to you and your sisters and I'm so sorry for you loss! I'm really going to try to come Friday! Brad and I are keeping you and your family in our prayers! Xoxoxo!

Anna April 15, 2008 at 3:37 PM  

Im sorry Jen, my prayers are with you. My Gma just passed on in Sept from a fast cancer. Its so surreal. I too, was glad she was done suffering. It sounds like he was a great Dad to you!

Emily April 15, 2008 at 4:07 PM  

I'm sorry, Jen! He sounds like he's an amazing man. I'll be praying for you are your family to be able to feel some peace and comfort. {{{{{HUGS!!!!}}}}

Jordan April 15, 2008 at 4:41 PM  

Jen, I am very sorry to hear of your loss. I can tell by reading your blog how much he meant to you and your entire family. If you need anything, please let us know.

Anonymous April 15, 2008 at 5:13 PM  

Jen, I'm so sorry for your loss! It sounds like he was a great father in your life. I'm grateful that he's through suffering and I pray that you and your family can feel comfort and peace!

Hailey Smoot Kandell April 15, 2008 at 5:31 PM  

I am so sorry for your loss, its never easy t realize how fragile life is. We'll keep your family in our prayers!

Holly Light April 16, 2008 at 9:14 AM  

I don't know what to say, but I'm so sorry for your loss and pray you and your family will be comforted.

The Cake Lady April 16, 2008 at 1:06 PM  

i just want to let you know that you and you family are in our prayers! it's good that all your family can be there together to be a support to eachother. hang in there! we love you.

chan... April 16, 2008 at 2:47 PM  

Jen....I am lost for words!! I just want to say I'm very sorry to hear such sad news. I will keep you and your family in my prayers!

Rosie April 16, 2008 at 4:31 PM  

I am so sorry...... It must be great to have such close Sisters and friends to be there with you.*hugs*

Karena April 17, 2008 at 3:07 AM  

Oh Jen, my heartfelt condolences to you and your family at this time.

The Tams April 18, 2008 at 2:38 PM  

Jen....I am so sorry. I am glad that Bompa isn't in pain anymore though. He really was a great man!

Tammy April 21, 2008 at 12:18 PM  

I am sooo sorry for your loss!! :(